Funnyman Jimmy Fallon announced Wednesday that he declined an offer to host next year’s Academy Awards. The 37-year-old “Late Night with Jimmy Fallon” talk-show host told Matt Lauer Wednesday that “it’s an honor to be asked by the academy, but it’s not my year.”
Actor Billy Crystal, last year’s Oscar host, hopes that 2013 could be his year again. The 64-year-old “When Harry Met Sally” actor told USA Today he would be open to returning for a 10th turn at leading the ceremony. “The door is open. It’s up to them. I had a very good time this last time,” he said.
The Academy of Motion Picture Arts and Sciences recently elected Hawk Koch as the organization’s new president. Koch is responsible for selecting an Oscar telecast producer, who in turn, selects the Oscar host. However, though the academy has not announced its choice for producer, Fallon’s comments suggest the process of selecting a host has already started.
The 85th Academy Awards will be presented Feb. 24, 2013.